KD Pharma Group’s Eco Footprint
Environmental impact and sustainability have always played an important role in KD Pharma Group's approach to business. Minimizing waste and improving overall efficiency are cornerstones of the organization. We believe this approach is not only better for the environment, but better for everyone involved in the Omega-3 fish oil industry. The longevity of the Omega-3 industry is based on a commitment to sustainable practices, both in fishing and manufacturing. The KD Pharma Group can offer FOS (Friends of Sea) certified products. The FOS organization has a mission to conserve marine ecosystems and prevent over exploitation of endangered species.
Over the years, the KD Pharma Group has invested considerable resources in developing a sustainable path forward.
KD Pharma Germany
- Was successfully audited by EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) and has been given certification for environmental friendly performance, which allows KD Pharma to use the EMAS logo
- Is ISO 14001 certified for environment management
- Is ISO 50001 certified for energy management
- Continuously strives to adopt energy management systems to optimize energy consumption
Production Facility: Brattvaag, Norway
Norway is the first nation on earth that has pledged to be completely carbon-neutral by 2030. The plant in Norway operates primarily on hydroelectric power. It also uses residual fish oil byproducts as biofuel at the facility, resulting in virtually no material waste.
Whenever possible, 1,000 kg “totes” are constructed on a hardwood pallet. These include an exterior case of double corrugated paperboard rather than conventional steel drums to ship larger volume fish oil products.
To a large extent this:
- Creates shipping efficiency
- Reduces landfill waste
- Eliminates over 5 steel drums per tote
The liquid bottling line continually pursues the use of environmentally friendly materials. Other plant-wide policies include:
- A rigorous recycling program
- The use of compact fluorescent and other energy-efficient bulbs
- A majority of employees also live within 10 kilometers of the plant, reducing their carbon footprint
Softgel Production & Bottling Facility
Eco-conscious efforts include:
- Shipping materials to the manufacturing facility using very efficient, high cube intermodal containers
- Recycling bulk containers used for various capsule fill material
- Encouraging customers to use PCR (Post Consumer Resin) bottles, widely regarded as the most environmentally friendly plastic
- Providing environmentally friendly label options, such as 100% post-consumer fiber, printed with natural soy ink
- The installation of new lighting systems, ceiling insulation, window films, smart thermostats and efficient air handling units